Wednesday, December 1, 2010

My Bedroom...I call it pretty-affordable :)

My bedroom in Athens...I just learned from Annette that I should never leave lights on for photo shoots....I'm getting there. This picture was already taken, so forgive me :)


my bedroom, athens, ga


the finished room...well, is any room ever finished? I built this bed from scratch - see other pictures below. The entire room is comprised of very inexpensive finds and great bargains. I found this white duvet cover and pillow shams at Ikea in the 'as is' section for only $10, an almost 90% discount! The throw is from there as well, I paid $0.99 for it! I just realized that to the prints are also from the 'scratch and dent' section of Ikea, and I believe I paid $0.99 for them as well - their plastic cover was broken, but the prints were fine. The sticks were $10 and the lighting above the bed print was also a buck from Ikea. 
leg in production. complicated. 

The best was the most expensive and most time consuming task. I think it ended up costing about $120 - including wood, paint, stain, and fasteners. This picture shows the ingenious design of the leg...the finished leg below:
finished leg

I took a orbital sander and sanded the edges to give it a bit more personality. And, who said you can't mix brown with black? We may as well throw that little rule out the window, because I'm not following it anymore...at least not for interiors. :)


The two Euros on the bed were actually one of the more expensive accessories...they are discontinued throw pillow (shams) from Dino Marc Anthony (California) one of my favorite sofa designers. They are from a sample sale in High Point, NC...I think I got the shams, muslin covers (underneath shams) and the down inserts for around $40 a piece- which was a great deal considering where they came from! 
desk


I'm always interested in hearing about people's projects done on a budget...I've since added a parsons desk and flat screen to my room. I found the desk at Wal-Mart of all places for $30, just like the one above.


2 comments: